• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord dragging into Court after two months leaving the apt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Ike

Two months ago, I gave a month notice to my land lord that I will be vecating the apartment since I was looking to buy a home. I was living on month to month lease already.
I also asked the management that If I have a problem, & wanat to stay a few extra days, would there be a Problem?
I was told that they will pro-rate the rent for the extra days plus they will charge rent for three extra days. That I agreed upon. Then I moved out two days after the end of the month. I did ask the management about the final bill, that they sent after a month (bill for 2 days+3 days Extra rent) plus late fee charges. for that I have already sent them a chech(that has never ben presented by the land lord yet).Recently I received a cout summons from that management to appear in the court for unlawful occupency as well as not paying rent.
The management ofice has already given me a letter that the aparment was vecated on the certain date.....
I am a bit confused. I dont know what to do. I need some one's help in this matter.

T

Tracey

I'm a bit confused also. If management said you could stay on a day-to-day basis & they'd just pro-rate your rent (+ 3 days), they can't come back now & say you were an illegal occupant for those days. The bill they sent you matches your version of events pefectly, so I don't think they have much of a case. Management was L's agent, so if they gave you permission to stay over, L can't sue you.

Be sure to take the bill showing they billed you for the extra days and your checkbook register showing that you wrote out a check for the amount they billed. Did you send it registered mail? If not, you'll just have to hope the judge believes you sent it. If L didn't receive it, L has some duty to at least notify you he didn't receive the check.

Did they refund your security deposit on time?

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">