• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord liability with renter's daycare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jaredsmom

My husband and I are interested in renting a house while we build in Stillwater. I have a daycare in my home. Our potential landlord is concerned about his possible liability if anything were to happen to one of the children. I am considering purchasing renters insurance with liability. If I purchase liability insurance will this prevent the landlord from being liable for injury to the children? If not, is there some form that we could draw up waiving the landlord's liability? Thanks for your help.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jaredsmom:
My husband and I are interested in renting a house while we build in Stillwater. I have a daycare in my home. Our potential landlord is concerned about his possible liability if anything were to happen to one of the children. I am considering purchasing renters insurance with liability. If I purchase liability insurance will this prevent the landlord from being liable for injury to the children? If not, is there some form that we could draw up waiving the landlord's liability? Thanks for your help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L has a right to be concerned. Your renters insurance most likely will not cover the day care liability because the day care would be considered a business for insurance purposes.
You could sign an indemnification and hold harmless agreement with L but that would not prevent L from getting sued in the event of an accident. This is because a liability lawsuit would name the property owner as well.

I suggest you talk to your insurance agent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">