• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord not returning security deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

debjack

I gave 60 days written notice and moved out of my landlord's house on 6/18/00 (he owns and lives there). On 7/18, I asked when I could expect to receive the portion of the security deposit that was owed to me back. Per his request, I did touch up painting in my room and several other areas in the house (had to wait 2-3 weeks for him to get the paint that matched). After dancing around for a couple of weeks after that, he informed me that he didn't have the money and would have to pay me in installments. I didn't agree with this, but saw no other way of getting my money. He has paid me one installment as of this date and was supposed to pay me another on 9/15 and the final one on 9/30. I spoke with him on the phone last night to see about coming by for the 9/15 installment. He told me to come on over. I did, but when I got there, he took me upstairs to the room I lived in there and informed me that part of the carpet would need to be replaced due to a stain that would not come out. What it came down to was that he still does not have my money. I feel at this point that this is something that should have been talked about and handled back on 7/18. It's now 9/20 and I still don't have my money. I want to take him to court, but the $ amount doesn't warrant it. Is there anything I can do?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by debjack:
I gave 60 days written notice and moved out of my landlord's house on 6/18/00 (he owns and lives there). On 7/18, I asked when I could expect to receive the portion of the security deposit that was owed to me back. Per his request, I did touch up painting in my room and several other areas in the house (had to wait 2-3 weeks for him to get the paint that matched). After dancing around for a couple of weeks after that, he informed me that he didn't have the money and would have to pay me in installments. I didn't agree with this, but saw no other way of getting my money. He has paid me one installment as of this date and was supposed to pay me another on 9/15 and the final one on 9/30. I spoke with him on the phone last night to see about coming by for the 9/15 installment. He told me to come on over. I did, but when I got there, he took me upstairs to the room I lived in there and informed me that part of the carpet would need to be replaced due to a stain that would not come out. What it came down to was that he still does not have my money. I feel at this point that this is something that should have been talked about and handled back on 7/18. It's now 9/20 and I still don't have my money. I want to take him to court, but the $ amount doesn't warrant it. Is there anything I can do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you have not told posted what State the property was in, we have no way of giving you a correct response. I will guess that L has passed the deadline as stated in the L/T law to return your security deposit or provide an accounting of deductions, therefore L owes you the balance of the deposit. And L may even owe double or triple this amount. L would owe you the entire deposit but since L already made a partial payment, L owes you the balance. The L/T law should be specific and should not allow partial payments by L with repect to a return of the deposit. L should not have spent the money as it was your money held in trust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">