• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is landlord obligated to give notice on exterior patio work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

salnjohn

In my large apartment complex in Denver, Colorado, work is being done on exterior patios throughout. After being told by a contractor that the work would take three days, we have now approached the third week of contractors on my patio, barring its use for the three weeks. I have had numerous and sundry individuals on my patio without any notification or even a knock on the door to indicate they are on my property. Are these types of induviduals (contractors, maintenance, management) obligated to state their presence and their intent? Also, who is obligated to clean up after the contractors? I have been cleaning up nails, boards, sawdust, and debris from my patio to enable my son to play on the patio in the evenings. Also, I was told by the V.p. of operations that I would be given "plenty" of notice prior to the beginning of the work. I was given no notice; the contractor just showed up one morning, asking me to keep my child inside due to the dangerous nature of the work. I have done this and am beginning to feel I have lost a portion of my home for three weeks due to this construction. Do I have any recourse? Thank you.

T

Tracey

Read the CO landlord tenant act & residential landlord tenant act. Your local law librarian can help you find them. You're looking for provisions that allow T to sue for abuse of access (3 weeks instead of 3 days), diminution in services (losing use of patio, making apt worth less than your full rent), creating a safety hazard (nails & debris). You may be able to demand a partial refund for loss of the patio (compare your rent to the rent of apts that don't have patios), and compensation for the safety hazards/abuse of access. If you don't get it, sue L.

Be sure to check the statutes to see exactly what kinds of notice (written) you have to give L & how much time L has to respond.

Good luck.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

S

salnjohn

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Read the CO landlord tenant act & residential landlord tenant act. Your local law librarian can help you find them. You're looking for provisions that allow T to sue for abuse of access (3 weeks instead of 3 days), diminution in services (losing use of patio, making apt worth less than your full rent), creating a safety hazard (nails & debris). You may be able to demand a partial refund for loss of the patio (compare your rent to the rent of apts that don't have patios), and compensation for the safety hazards/abuse of access. If you don't get it, sue L.

Be sure to check the statutes to see exactly what kinds of notice (written) you have to give L & how much time L has to respond.

Good luck.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">