• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord/owner rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmmalone

I recently purchased a home where the previous owner had tenants living in the home. The tenants were suppose to be out by October 8,2000. Now they are refusing to leave. I have been advised to file and eviction. Which I have given them a 15 day notice to vacate the premises. My problem is I already had my address changed thinking that I would be in my new home. I am also afraid that they may cause damage to my property since they are being forced to move. I need to know if I have a right to go on my property. I would like to put a lock on my mail box, and also change the locks on the doors so that I may inspect my property which the tenants are refusing to let me in the house. Help!!!

------------------
mmm

T

Tracey

You can't lock the mailbox unless there's another box for the tenant's mail. You are entitled to enter the property to inspect it, after giving reasonable notice (24 hours). If Ts refuse to let you inspect, you can get an emergency order from the court to let you in. You can't change the locks -- Ts could sue you for 3 month's rent. Also, you're going to need to change them when Ts leave. Do you really want to do it twice? If you insist on changing the locks, send Ts notice in writing of your intent to do so, and copies of the new keys before you change the locks. Take a witness so you can prove Ts had the keys before the locks were changed.

If Ts have a lease, they get to stay until it expires or you bribe them to leave. Why on earth did you close on a house with sitting tenants? Removing the tenants should have been a condition of sale.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">