• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alberto

I need to know my rights as a landlord. Approximately 6 months ago, An aquantance of mine was kicked out of where he was staying by his roommate. I felt sorry for him and suggested he could move in to a spare room in my house for free if he would strip paint off the woodwork in 2 rooms. This was a verbal agreement for a 3 month period. No agreement is in writing nor did I sign anything. After 3 months he had not completed the job so I said he could stay longer to complete the job. I even said he could go to school and not have to work on those days. After 6 months he has still has not completed the work. He averages about 1 hour a week on work - I told him that this was not satisfactory and he had to move out. He blew up and said he would sue me for breach of contract. He has lived here with free room with bath,kitchen facilities - utitlities, including water to take care of the many potted plants he brought with him, plus a storage area in my garage with his belongings. I even let him use my computer internet access - all for free. He said he will not move for 180 days and I better not touch anything of his, go into his room or use his bathroom. I am being held hostage in my own house.

Please advise if I have any recourse to get out of this very bad situation.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
Alberto Ossa

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by alberto:
I need to know my rights as a landlord. Approximately 6 months ago, An aquantance of mine was kicked out of where he was staying by his roommate. I felt sorry for him and suggested he could move in to a spare room in my house for free if he would strip paint off the woodwork in 2 rooms. This was a verbal agreement for a 3 month period. No agreement is in writing nor did I sign anything. After 3 months he had not completed the job so I said he could stay longer to complete the job. I even said he could go to school and not have to work on those days. After 6 months he has still has not completed the work. He averages about 1 hour a week on work - I told him that this was not satisfactory and he had to move out. He blew up and said he would sue me for breach of contract. He has lived here with free room with bath,kitchen facilities - utitlities, including water to take care of the many potted plants he brought with him, plus a storage area in my garage with his belongings. I even let him use my computer internet access - all for free. He said he will not move for 180 days and I better not touch anything of his, go into his room or use his bathroom. I am being held hostage in my own house.

Please advise if I have any recourse to get out of this very bad situation.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
Alberto Ossa
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now you now why the first roommate kicked him out. File a restraining order against him and then kick his professional scamming ass out of there. He is not a tenant but a mere freeloading houseguest.

P

peter

YOU are a BAD landlord

How dare you ask for someone to do work in exchange for rent.....

That is the worst thing you can do.....it shows me you aint got no cash to pay a real licenced painter cause you need da money for otheer things, like drinking, drugs, or your mistress.....

Next time pay someone to do the work.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
YOU are a BAD landlord

How dare you ask for someone to do work in exchange for rent.....

That is the worst thing you can do.....it shows me you aint got no cash to pay a real licenced painter cause you need da money for otheer things, like drinking, drugs, or your mistress.....

Next time pay someone to do the work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Peter, you are hindering my legal strategy. If the writer considers himself a landlord, then he is required to give proper notice (may be even 30 days) to the "tenant". My theory is that the writer is not a landlord and therefore no landlord-tenant relationship exists.

T

Tracey

Works for me HG. The guy's a guest who won't leave. We call them thar types trespassers here in Washington. :) Go to the police and file trespassing charges against this guest who won't leave. Then file for a restraining order, based on the blow up & threats to hurt you if you try to make him leave. When you're in court, ask the judge to set a day when police will be there to keep the peace while free loader gets his stuff out. Be sure you're there to keep him from taking any of YOUR stuff with his. He'll try it, I just know he will!

If you can get the guy to hit you, your restraining order is guaranteed as part of the 'no contact' order when he's arraigned for assault.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

P

peter

I guess you know better next time...to actually ...and i know this is painnnnfullll, to pay a licensed Painter, Carpenter, Electrician, etc.. with insurance, to do the work..

OHHHHH the cost I cant afford to give up drinking drugs or my mistress for a month...OUCH!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">