• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord sexually harassed - HELP ME

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

loenikka

I rented a room in CA. The room was detached from the house and the bathroom was inside the house. Once I had moved in, I realized what a crazy he was. while drugged and drunk he came into my room and harassed me. When I confronted him he "suggested" me moving out. He said that he would give me my last months rent the next day. I moved out the next day, but he refused to pay me back. I had the walls painted and the carpets cleaned. I was very civil with him while he acted like an animal. I feel that my personal safety was compromised on several occasions. Is there something I can do? I plan on taking him to small claims court. This situation has turned my world upside down because I'm a working student who is not close to home. Now I have to commute and I've had to quit my job. PLease help me, I'm desperate.
leonikka

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by loenikka:
I rented a room in CA. The room was detached from the house and the bathroom was inside the house. Once I had moved in, I realized what a crazy he was. while drugged and drunk he came into my room and harassed me. When I confronted him he "suggested" me moving out. He said that he would give me my last months rent the next day. I moved out the next day, but he refused to pay me back. I had the walls painted and the carpets cleaned. I was very civil with him while he acted like an animal. I feel that my personal safety was compromised on several occasions. Is there something I can do? I plan on taking him to small claims court. This situation has turned my world upside down because I'm a working student who is not close to home. Now I have to commute and I've had to quit my job. PLease help me, I'm desperate.
leonikka
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you filed a police report at the time. In addition to small claims, file in district court for harassment.

T

Tracey

Sue him for trespassing, since he came into your room uninvited. Also sue him for constructive eviction & retaliatory eviction. Constructive eviction - he trespassed while drunk & high, sexually harrassed you, & no one can be expected to live in such an unsafe situation. Retaliatory eviction - he told you to leave because you complained about his unlawful abuse of access and crimes against you. Sue for your moving expenses & any extra rent you have to pay in your new place, plus a full refund of your deposit, attorney fees, and costs. Watch the money roll in! I don't know if you can prove the lost wages, but ask the judge to award them too. You'll have to show that you were too upset to work or had to move to a place too far away to keep your job because that was the ONLY comparable room available in the city.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">