• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord 'suggests' I move out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lburnop

My landlord called me the other day and yelled at me because my rent was late. This is the first time ever I have been late and I agreed to accept the fine. He blew up at me saying I was using an attitude with him. I feel I was not. It boils down to the fact that I washed a vehicle at the apartment and another renter told me that this was not allowed. I said to the renter that I was not aware of that and thanked her for letting me know. She in turn let the landlord know that I washed a vehicle and that I was rude to her. My landlord told me I was stupid for doing it and that I should have known better, even though it never said anything about it in the lease. He has now sent me a letter stating that under the circumstances I am being allowed to move out before my lease is up which is Feb. 2001. He suggests Nov.1 or no later than Dec. 1. It is also rumored that he requires a $200 advertisement fee to anyone who moves out before there lease is up. It also does not mention that in the lease. Also I have had a ceiling leak the entire time I have lived here and it has yet to be fixed.
My question is: Should I have to pay any advertisement fee if not stated in writing? Also is the letter enough to prove that I am moving out because he urged me to and not on my own in case he suddenly says I can't?

S

shortyevans

My suggestion is that you first politely send your landlord a letter saying you have no intention of moving out before your lease is up, and if he/she would like you to move, that they should formally evict you. (if it does not say any thing about you washing your car in your lease, there are no obvious signs around the building, nor did you sign someother paper at the beginning of your lease, there is no way you could have known. Based on what you've said, your landlord has no right to evict you (based on the landlord tenant act- your local laws may add something else.) ON the other hand, in this letter, you should POLITELY let your landlord know about the leak (even if they already do.) let them know how long its been there, where (specifically) it is, and that according to the landlord tenant act, they have 24 hours to fix plumbing problems. (unless its a leaky dishwasher, or something small, it may be 2-10 days.) Let them know that they should fix it promptly. MAKE SURE IN YOUR CITY/STATE IT IS ALRIGHT FIRST- then, if the leak is not repaired within the proper limits (NEVER ANY LONGER THAN 10 DAYS.) you have the right to move out then, so let your landlord know you are moving out early, based on an undone repair (look at your local library for landlord tenant (newer) books for your area, and copy a sample moving out letter based on undone repairs.) and you should have no obligation to the 200 advertisement costs, because he is the reason you are moving. Landlord tenant act should back you up on this one. Otherwise, you can file a police report for harrassment, and show them the letter saying your landlord is trying to force you out of your place without a proper eviction (by the way, absolutly no reason to evict you.) If you have anyother questions, you can email me.
[email protected] I am not an attorney, I am just another tenant going through the same thing.

P

peter

HEY Iburnop listen up

this is called "Life Skills Class"

A LEASE IS A LEASE....PERIOD!

Neither YOU or Landlord can change any terms in the lease unless you agree to it in writing!

If there is NO LATE FEE mentioned in the lease then there is NO late fee period!

If there is NOTHING mentioned about rules like washing your car in your lease, THEN IT IS THE LANDLORD'S FAULT HE DIDNT PUT IT IN THE LEASE..... then there is NO way the landlord can evict you over something this stupid!

DO NOT PAY A $200 FEE....DO NOT MOVE OUT.....

Write a letter back that says.I am entitled by LAW to stay until the lease expires which I WILL DO! If you wish me out sooner then YOU as the landlord will PAY for my moving expenses(use a licensed bonded mover) all deposits and reconnection fees, and my security deposit...say $2500-3000...and I shall vacate in 30 days.

Also take pictures of the leak get 2 or 3 disosable cameras and make an extra set and include it with this note....The cieling has not been fixed since i moved in, by recieveing this letter YOU as the landlord have agreed that ANY and ALL damage from the leak is to be paid for by YOU the Landlord.

send it certified return reciept mail.

That should get his attention.....stand up for your rights ...dont be wussy!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">