• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord trades property, can I get out of lease

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LJolynn

I'm wondering if I can get out of my lease once the title goes into someone elses name? Seems to me that my agreement is with xxxlandlord and not the new person. I have nothing signed with new person. Frankly I have been very worried since we moved in several months ago as the LL receives credit notices every day and people stop by frequently to try and find him. Property next door(same owner) was posted a couple of weeks ago that someone else has taken over and is the only person authorized to approve and request any work done on the property.

I have been very worried about our 3K deposit. If he went bankrupt or were foreclosed upon would the deposit be intact? Also, if he is foreclosed or bankrupt and my deposit is not intact how could a bank or anybody else hold me to the lease? If he really is transfering title to someone else and it is legit how do I know my deposit is also being transferred?

We really like this place and it fits our needs but we could also move out and buy a house if we weren't held to the lease. Have gone through so much stress and worry the last few months part of me just wants to get away from this place.

P

peter

WELL first your lease is your lease NO ONE can throw you out, no matter who the owner is untill it expires..PERIOD!

AND TENANTS DO NOT KNOW THIS.......

YOU HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO ATTEND THE CLOSING AND PRESENT ANY OUTSANDING BILLS, AND SECURITY DEPOSIT IS AN OUTSTANDING BILL..

They must settle this matter before they can close on the house.... neat huh?

Also the new owner assumes all leases and deposits..so you have a reciept and your lease right?

So now that you know that......what do you feel like doing?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LJolynn:
I'm wondering if I can get out of my lease once the title goes into someone elses name? Seems to me that my agreement is with xxxlandlord and not the new person. I have nothing signed with new person. Frankly I have been very worried since we moved in several months ago as the LL receives credit notices every day and people stop by frequently to try and find him. Property next door(same owner) was posted a couple of weeks ago that someone else has taken over and is the only person authorized to approve and request any work done on the property.

I have been very worried about our 3K deposit. If he went bankrupt or were foreclosed upon would the deposit be intact? Also, if he is foreclosed or bankrupt and my deposit is not intact how could a bank or anybody else hold me to the lease? If he really is transfering title to someone else and it is legit how do I know my deposit is also being transferred?

We really like this place and it fits our needs but we could also move out and buy a house if we weren't held to the lease. Have gone through so much stress and worry the last few months part of me just wants to get away from this place.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">