• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord troubles..(long)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sunny51379

My lease is from 9/10/99 to 9/30/00. About a month before moving, I was given the address of the apartment that was to be mine. When I drove by, I noticed that one of the windows had only one and a half shutters. When brought to the attention of property management, I was told that all the apartments were getting a "face lift" and that it would be fixed before I moved in. On moving day it still wasn't fixed. When brought up again, they said it would be done by the end of summer (which I assumed meant the end of September). Again, it was not done. I have brought the matter up NUMEROUS times since, only to be given more excuses and broken promises. They won't even just take the half shutter down for me.

Aside from piddly things like that, my apartment has flooded twice in the past seven months (to no fault of my own) creating damage to the downstairs carpet and ceiling. Requests for maintenance had to be made several times before any action was taken. Because they waited so long to do anything, the carpet is permanently damaged and creates a foul odor at times. The manager verbally agreed to credit my rent for the number of days before they finally did anything. However, I kept having them reclean the carpets because the smell would not go away and they refused to replace it. Well, their carpet cleaning company tried to tell me that the smell was coming from the cats and then the manager refused to credit my rent due to the cost of cleaning. My roommate and I payed a $300 pet deposit ($100 potentially refundable) and $20 extra a month per cat (2 cats). Regardless as to whether or not the cats had any accidents (it didn't smell before the floods), the carpet needs to be replaced. My fear is that they're going to try to stick the blame on me and make me pay for the replacement. How can I defend myself?

Also, I recently turned in written notice that we will be vacating the premises no later than 9/30/00. Well, I just received written notice from them of the remaining rent I owe along with a checklist of all the cleaning that needs to be done to the apartment. But, what struck me as strange is that they also insist on a pre-inspection of the apartment before I move out, along with another after I turn in my keys. Can they do that? What is their purpose? I obviously can't do the thorough cleaning they want until all of my stuff is moved out.

I apoligize for the length of this note, but I'm 21 and a first time renter with limited knowledge in this area. I'd appreciate any help. Oh, and I live in Ohio.

L

loudrich

Well you owe rent only till 9/30 as what is stated in the lease...are their figures correct?

Time to fight fire with fire....get a couple of disposable camera and take pictures when they are there and when you leave the apartment, to prove damages or that there are none....that will scare them , but they wont give you your security back, so you may have to sue them for it.

Well you should buy a steam cleaning unit form Hoover around $229 and get some of the pet chemicals that disinfect of fungus and virusus from http://www.drsfostersmith.com

I use #0A-485 its a disinfectant which kills all types of fungus and viral organisms...it s $45.99 a gallon but will last a year put a couple of ounces in a steam cleaner every week or two, and it kills everything smells good too.

Cats are clean animals, but you will always have ASSH*LE landlords who are dumb as SH*T.

Thats just one more way to defened yourself against these types of people...you are a responsible pet owner and you have the steam cleaner to prove it.

----------------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sunny51379:
My lease is from 9/10/99 to 9/30/00. About a month before moving, I was given the address of the apartment that was to be mine. When I drove by, I noticed that one of the windows had only one and a half shutters. When brought to the attention of property management, I was told that all the apartments were getting a "face lift" and that it would be fixed before I moved in. On moving day it still wasn't fixed. When brought up again, they said it would be done by the end of summer (which I assumed meant the end of September). Again, it was not done. I have brought the matter up NUMEROUS times since, only to be given more excuses and broken promises. They won't even just take the half shutter down for me.

Aside from piddly things like that, my apartment has flooded twice in the past seven months (to no fault of my own) creating damage to the downstairs carpet and ceiling. Requests for maintenance had to be made several times before any action was taken. Because they waited so long to do anything, the carpet is permanently damaged and creates a foul odor at times. The manager verbally agreed to credit my rent for the number of days before they finally did anything. However, I kept having them reclean the carpets because the smell would not go away and they refused to replace it. Well, their carpet cleaning company tried to tell me that the smell was coming from the cats and then the manager refused to credit my rent due to the cost of cleaning. My roommate and I payed a $300 pet deposit ($100 potentially refundable) and $20 extra a month per cat (2 cats). Regardless as to whether or not the cats had any accidents (it didn't smell before the floods), the carpet needs to be replaced. My fear is that they're going to try to stick the blame on me and make me pay for the replacement. How can I defend myself?

Also, I recently turned in written notice that we will be vacating the premises no later than 9/30/00. Well, I just received written notice from them of the remaining rent I owe along with a checklist of all the cleaning that needs to be done to the apartment. But, what struck me as strange is that they also insist on a pre-inspection of the apartment before I move out, along with another after I turn in my keys. Can they do that? What is their purpose? I obviously can't do the thorough cleaning they want until all of my stuff is moved out.

I apoligize for the length of this note, but I'm 21 and a first time renter with limited knowledge in this area. I'd appreciate any help. Oh, and I live in Ohio.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

C

cb

As far as the pre-inspection, they are not permitted in your home without your permission so long as you still occupy it and are current on rent. I don't know if the prior issues were done in writing or not, but from this point to the end of your lease put it in writing and get it in writing.

And if they do a "pre-inspection" when you're not there, they will have violated your rights as a tenant and it is a violation of the law, even if they own the dwelling.

I'm not a lawyer so check with your state's laws regarding tenant rights for more information. Usually there is a central agency that governs tenants rights. In California its the Dept. of Fairhousing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">