• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord wants to break lease to sell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlt999

We live in Colorado and have a years lease.
The landlord wants to sell the house because of divorce. Does she have to pay our moving expences if we aggree to let her break the lease?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jlt999:
We live in Colorado and have a years lease.
The landlord wants to sell the house because of divorce. Does she have to pay our moving expences if we aggree to let her break the lease?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The landlord doesn't "have to" do anything. And, by the same token, you don't either. You have a contract and you can force her to abide by it. For the duration of the years' lease, that property, for all intents and purposes, is your property.

Now, for the practical side of things. If you are agreeable to moving, you can ask the landlord to do a few things for you. Remember, you're in the "driver's seat."

1. Return every penny of my security deposit.
2. Pay for my moving expenses (and not just a cheap U-Haul. I'm talkin' Mayflower Moving and Storage).
3. You have a realtor, landlord. So, put him/her to work to locate me some comparable housing. Three choices ought to do it.
4. Give me a written, dated, signed and glowing reference.
5. Give me $500.00 for my signature on a Release.
6. Shine my shoes.
7. Buy me a year's worth of my favorite [add product here].
8. Walk my dog on weekends until the house is sold.

Choose as many as you want, and think you can get away with. The longer there is left on your lease, the better your chances of getting what you want. You get the picture, don't you?

However (there's always one of those), make sure that you're not driving without a seatbelt, and thrown through the windshield. Check your lease for a provision concerning a "sale" during the tenancy. The lease may have made the tenancy term subject to the landlord's intervening sale of the premises. In this event, the sale works an immediate termination of the tenancy per the terms of the lease; if you refuse to vacate, the landlord or the successor may bring an action for unlawful detainer.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 02, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">