• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord wants rent when no hot water?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JAB66

Here's my tale of woe: Paid August rent. First week of August, water heater breaks. Wiring problems, etc., not repaired completely until mid-September. Out of apartment the whole time.

As per State law, provided written summary of problem, said apt. uninhabitable. Did not pay September rent. Paid October rent. Landlord now wants most (21 days) rent for Sept. Claims I told repairman "it was no big deal" and therefore didn't rush to finish, etc.

He posted failure to pay notice on 10/10. I believe my only option is to put questioned amount in State escrow. a) Is this coorect? b) how do I do this?

JAB

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAB66:
Here's my tale of woe: Paid August rent. First week of August, water heater breaks. Wiring problems, etc., not repaired completely until mid-September. Out of apartment the whole time.

As per State law, provided written summary of problem, said apt. uninhabitable. Did not pay September rent. Paid October rent. Landlord now wants most (21 days) rent for Sept. Claims I told repairman "it was no big deal" and therefore didn't rush to finish, etc.

He posted failure to pay notice on 10/10. I believe my only option is to put questioned amount in State escrow. a) Is this coorect? b) how do I do this?

JAB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Research the State L/T law again and there should be requirements for dealing with this situation. Also contact the State Court that has jurisdiction over cases such as yours. You have not posted the applicable State.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">