• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord On What To Do With Realtor/Corp. Regarding Security Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

capecodder23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Here is my dilema and what can I do? I rented my house for 10 weeks to Coldwell Banker who was the middleman for Stop & Shop tenant. Two guys stayed at my house for the summer 10 weeks and was employed by Stop & Shop. Stop & Shop rented my house through Coldwell Banker and put down a security deposit of $1,000. There was damaged done to my brand new hardwood floors and a screen to my slider by a dog. On the contract it says no animals of any kind in, on or outside the premises of the dwelling. One of the guys who was a tenant let someone stay over who had a dog and damage my hardwood floors by deep scratches and also ran right through the screen door. Now the hardwood floors have to be redone by sanding, buffing, and poly urithane 2 coats to get out the scratches. I need a new screen door because the screen was ripped apart and the frame was bent. Stop & Shop wants to give us the security deposit of $1,000 but we have to sign a release form saying they are no longer responsible for anything else and we cannot take any further action against them. We wanted to add a rider saying we do not want to claim this as taxable income and they said NO.

Can we sue for triple damages? Do we go after Coldwell Banker since they were the middle man? We know to repair the damage will be more than $1,000. We have to get someone to repair the floors, we have to get a PODs unit to store the furniture, we have to hire day laborers to remove the furniture and put it in the PODs Unit and we have to hire someone to get us a screen door and install it. Do we get all this work done and pay out of our pocket first or do we just get estimates? Can we sue for triple damages in small claims court.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">