• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LANDLORD WON'T RETURN DEPOSIT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WEEGRACIE

MY LANDLORD TRIED TO TELL ME I DIDN'T PAY A DEPOSIT WHEN I MOVED IN. HIS SHEET SHOWED A BIG ZERO, BUT I WENT HOME AND FOUND MY SHEET AND IT CLEARLY SHOWED I PAID $200 - THEY HAD WHITED OUT THEIR COPY AND ADDED A "O". NEXT THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A DIFFERENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY THAN THEM AND THEY WEREN'T RESPONSIBLE BUT I ARGUED AND THEY FINALLY AGREED TO PAY ME THE MONEY. FOUR WEEKS LATER I GET A LETTER SAY THEY ARE WITHOLDING $95 OF THE DEPOSIT FOR PAINTING THE APT., $75 FOR CLEANING AND $30 FOR "MISC BALANCE DUE" SO MY RETURN IS ZERO. CAN THEY DO THIS LEGALLY AND WHAT CAN I DO?

W

WEEGRACIE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by keeshy2:
Listing your state would really help.... :)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
California

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WEEGRACIE:
MY LANDLORD TRIED TO TELL ME I DIDN'T PAY A DEPOSIT WHEN I MOVED IN. HIS SHEET SHOWED A BIG ZERO, BUT I WENT HOME AND FOUND MY SHEET AND IT CLEARLY SHOWED I PAID $200 - THEY HAD WHITED OUT THEIR COPY AND ADDED A "O". NEXT THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A DIFFERENT MANAGEMENT COMPANY THAN THEM AND THEY WEREN'T RESPONSIBLE BUT I ARGUED AND THEY FINALLY AGREED TO PAY ME THE MONEY. FOUR WEEKS LATER I GET A LETTER SAY THEY ARE WITHOLDING $95 OF THE DEPOSIT FOR PAINTING THE APT., $75 FOR CLEANING AND $30 FOR "MISC BALANCE DUE" SO MY RETURN IS ZERO. CAN THEY DO THIS LEGALLY AND WHAT CAN I DO?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you dirty the walls which then required painting, did you clean good enough or at all, did you have an outstanding balance due of rent or other in the amount of $30? What are you referring to when you say "my sheet"? Is this a signed cash receipt?

If you did not get the explanation in writing until after 4 weeks later, L may be in violation and must return the entire amount.

W

WEEGRACIE

The manager had examined my apartment after I moved out and told me it was fine (as far as cleaning etc.) The walls were not dirty although it is my belief that in Ca. all apts. must be painted between tenants. In refering to my sheet it was a signed copy of the rental agreement they had given me showing my $200 deposit. When they tried to tell me I never put down a deposit I brought my sheet in and in examining theirs closely they could see the $200 faintly UNDERNEATH the newly written-in 0. That's when I was told my deposit WOULD BE returned within two weeks. After 3 weeks I called again to see why I hadn't received it and they told me it was "in the mail". A week later I got the letter stating I would not get my deposit back. I had no "misc balance due". Clearly, they tried every trick in the book to prevent having to pay and even promised that I WOULD be paid. It doesn't seem right to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">