• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't return my calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KWyman

My apartment has problems that need to be fixed, but my landlord won't return any of my phone calls. I have already called a building inspector that is coming out this week to look at some of the major problems that might be against city code, but there are a few problems that I am willing to fix myself. Problem is: It states in the lease that I need my landlords prior written consent before I make any improvements or alterations to the apartment. I have tried several times to contact him (I have documented everything), but he will not call me back. The two things that I want to do are: put caulking around the windows (it is getting very cold and gas prices are high), replace the cold water handle on the bathtub (I am using plyers to turn it on and off). Is there any way that I can fix these things and take the cost off of my rent? I am willing to send him a certified letter. Will I be violating the lease if I make every attempt to contact him, but make the repairs without his consent in writing? Please help. I'm desperate!
I live in Kansas City, MO.

HomeGuru

Send L the certified letter that if you do not hear from him within 14 days from receipt of the letter, that you will fix these items and deduct the cost from your rent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">