• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlords responsabilites

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vicki868

In New Jersey is there a set number of yrs that the landlord must repaint a tenants apartment? I have lived in out apartment for 4.5 yrs and when I asked the landlord (management office) to repaint they said they only repaint when you are in your 5th yr going on your 6th.

[This message has been edited by Vicki868 (edited October 15, 2000).]

T

Tracey

The NJ landlord tenant act is in Title 46. I didn't find anything in it about L having to repaint more often than every 5 years. Sorry.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

V

Vicki868

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
The NJ landlord tenant act is in Title 46. I didn't find anything in it about L having to repaint more often than every 5 years. Sorry.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The unit was 1 yr old when we moved in, and they didn't repaint when the old tenants moved out and we moved in. Since I have been here 4.5 yrs does that mean they should repaint?

T

Tracey

Painting is a cosmetic improvement, not a repair. Therefore L does not have to paint ever. Ls usually paint regularly because it's so much easier to rent a freshly painted, clean apt. So, while L *should* repaint, L doesn't have to. However, when you do move, make sure L doesn't charge you for repainting the place. Periodic repainting (& carpet shampooing) is a cost of doing business as a landlord. It's normal wear & tear and L can't charge you for it. The cost has already been figured into your rent.

What if you offer to paint yourself if L will buy the paint & lend you supplies? You could also move to a new apt in the same complex that's been painted recently. Look on the bright side -- since L plans to paint after you leave, you can paint the walls lime green without causing L any extra damages. (Assuming 1-coat will still cover whatever color you pick. Why on earth would you want lime walls anyway? Are you color blind? ;) ) Get L to agree in writing that you can paint any color you want & L won't charge for repainting since L will have to repaint whether you put paint on the walls or not.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited October 15, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">