• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landord/Tenant Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tomlum

I am a tenant in a 30,000 sq.ft. building in NJ. My lease says I am resposible for environmental damage that I cause. Recently a heating oil tank that the landlord installed leaked. The clean up is 50K. The landlord is trying to evict me because I won't pay the bill. I even offered to split it with him. Should I fight or pay.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomlum:
I am a tenant in a 30,000 sq.ft. building in NJ. My lease says I am resposible for environmental damage that I cause. Recently a heating oil tank that the landlord installed leaked. The clean up is 50K. The landlord is trying to evict me because I won't pay the bill. I even offered to split it with him. Should I fight or pay.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the cause of the leak? Did you cause the leak in any way even if it was an accident? If not your fault, fight him.

T

Tomlum

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
What was the cause of the leak? Did you cause the leak in any way even if it was an accident? If not your fault, fight him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It was an above ground tank. We did not cause the leak, it was possibly a corroded tank. Possibly the oil company spilled the oil. We put the oil company on notice. I just found out the landlord sold the building and wants to close by Oct 1st.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tomlum:
Originally posted by HomeGuru:
What was the cause of the leak? Did you cause the leak in any way even if it was an accident? If not your fault, fight him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It was an above ground tank. We did not cause the leak, it was possibly a corroded tank. Possibly the oil company spilled the oil. We put the oil company on notice. I just found out the landlord sold the building and wants to close by Oct 1st.
Make sure the prospective Buyer knows of the problem and that you will not be paying this bill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">