• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws on putting a camera in front of your house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ricardoumbro

New York State, Queens County (NYC)
I live on a pretty busy street, i had problems from people dropping their garbage inside my fence to people stealing garbage containers, lids, to people who check up the door acting as solicitors.

I am really tired of this, so I decided to put a small camera to monitor my door and the fence. The distance from my door to the fence is only about 10 feet, so the camera would have to record the street as well.

Is there any law against this? Are we allowed to record the street and pedestrians? The purpose of this camera is to monitor people who walk in/out of the fence, but naturally it would also record the street as well, since the area is so small.

Also, would I be obligated to put a note informing people about this?
Would I need to get a permit from somewhere?
Or as long as the camera is hidden somewhere like my window upstairs, would that be OK?

I just don't want to get into trouble with anyone if this is not allowed.
Thank You.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HomeGuru

New York State, Queens County (NYC)
I live on a pretty busy street, i had problems from people dropping their garbage inside my fence to people stealing garbage containers, lids, to people who check up the door acting as solicitors.

I am really tired of this, so I decided to put a small camera to monitor my door and the fence. The distance from my door to the fence is only about 10 feet, so the camera would have to record the street as well.

Is there any law against this? Are we allowed to record the street and pedestrians? The purpose of this camera is to monitor people who walk in/out of the fence, but naturally it would also record the street as well, since the area is so small.

Also, would I be obligated to put a note informing people about this?
Would I need to get a permit from somewhere?
Or as long as the camera is hidden somewhere like my window upstairs, would that be OK?

I just don't want to get into trouble with anyone if this is not allowed.
Thank You.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

**A: what did the police tell you when you asked them the same questions?

ricardoumbro

Home Guru, if I did, I wouldn't be asking the questions here. I am not testing anyone's knowledge, I just wanted to get some information about this. I don't want to deal with police unless I really have to. Cops here are not really friendly, last week someone blocked my garage and I couldn't park, I called the local cops, by the time they showed up, the guy who blocked me moved. He moved about 4 hours after I reported, and the cops probably showed up 6 or 10 hours later.. I got the message "violation was not observed"...

You Are Guilty, thanks. I may need to check some sites about these laws, but I just don't know where or even what to search for. That's why I decided posting here.

No there wouldn't be any microphone, and what can I evesdrop anyway? It is a loud street. With camera on my door or up on the second floor window, It is impossible to record any conversation. Plus it would be a small wireless camera anyway.

You Are Guilty

You Are Guilty, thanks. I may need to check some sites about these laws, but I just don't know where or even what to search for. That's why I decided posting here.
http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

Scroll down to "PEN" (Penal).

Click on 250.00, 250.05 and 250.40. That should remove any doubts you may have.

ricardoumbro

Thank you You Are Guilty,
Under 250.40 Unlawful surveillance; definitions does not mention "within private property".
We have a few buildings in our area with cameras on their walls recording their sidewalk and entrances to the building.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">