• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws for Vacation Homes in San Antonio, TX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joselyn

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I have a home in San Antonio, TX that I rent for short term rentals, daily, weekly or monthly (like a vacation home). The HOA is asking me to stop renting it because they consider what I am doing a business and the home is in a residential zoning area. Is there any law in San Antonio, TX that regulates or prohibit the rental of a vacation home on a residential area? I do not have any advertisment sign on the property, I do everything through the internet.

FlyingRon

A succession of short term rentals may move you from the "rental of residence" (generally permitted, but often regulated in many jurisdictions) to operating a lodging (hotel, etc..) which is more regulated and indeed may be a violation of zoning.

You should consult a local real estate lawyer to see what your options are.

Can't believe anybody would consider a week in San Antonio to be a vacation.

HuAi

Likely you are going to be limited by the condo CC&Rs rather than any zoning laws. Look to the wording of that document for your answers

LindaP777

Likely you are going to be limited by the condo CC&Rs rather than any zoning laws. Look to the wording of that document for your answers
INDEED! I own several homes with HOA's. Those that allow rentals, do not allow leases less than 12 months (therefore preventing short term leasing and "transient hotel purposes" as the wording in one CRR says).

Joselyn

Laws for vacation home in San Antonio, TX

Flying Ron, What did you mean with this? "Can't believe anybody would consider a week in San Antonio to be a vacation".

LindaP777

I think that was just a little joke!
San Antonio is quite lovely (in the spring time, but hotter then he11 in August). I especially love the River Walk. My daughter lives in Austin and they took us to visit San Antonio.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">