• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leaking door/ruined items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stacytlrt

We live in a rented house and about 1 1/2 years ago an outside door was replaced. It is a door we don't use. my sewing table sat in front of it for the last 6-8 months. This summer my son set up the sprinkler outside and it hit the door-historically I should say the old door also got hit w/ the sprinkler and never leaked. Well, this one did. I have aprox. 200-250 dollars of ruined cookbooks and quilting books. We had no idea that the door leaked and I only found out after picking up a cookbook that was stored next to the sewing machine. We didn't ask for or need a new door. Who should be responsible for the damage? The company who installed the door, my landlord, the maker of the door? Any suggestions would be helpful.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacytlrt:
We live in a rented house and about 1 1/2 years ago an outside door was replaced. It is a door we don't use. my sewing table sat in front of it for the last 6-8 months. This summer my son set up the sprinkler outside and it hit the door-historically I should say the old door also got hit w/ the sprinkler and never leaked. Well, this one did. I have aprox. 200-250 dollars of ruined cookbooks and quilting books. We had no idea that the door leaked and I only found out after picking up a cookbook that was stored next to the sewing machine. We didn't ask for or need a new door. Who should be responsible for the damage? The company who installed the door, my landlord, the maker of the door? Any suggestions would be helpful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

None of the above. The door is not made to get sprayed on with water from a sprinkler. You are responsible and liable for the damage. If you had renters insurance, the insurance would have covered your loss.

T

Tracey

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
None of the above. The door is not made to get sprayed on with water from a sprinkler. You are responsible and liable for the damage. If you had renters insurance, the insurance would have covered your loss.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure it was Homie. Doesn't it rain sideways in your neck of the woods? Sure does here! If the door couldn't stop sprinkler water, it couldn't stop rain & was improperly installed. It might be different if the sprinkler rotted out the door, but I assume this is not the case. Write L & demand reimbursement for your damages property. L can sue the installers if s/he wants to.

Meanwhile, start haunting eBay to replace your books cheaper & buy some renter's insurance.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

U

usdeeper

Why even bother mentioning the sprinkler.. just say it rain hard. All you need to prove is that the door leaks.

S

Stacytlrt

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
None of the above. The door is not made to get sprayed on with water from a sprinkler. You are responsible and liable for the damage. If you had renters insurance, the insurance would have covered your loss.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't say that I didn't have renters insurance, I just thought that windows and doors were ment to keep out the elements w/in reason. The sprinkler is not a steady stream and wasn't set there for days at a time. Only 3-4 hours, Thank goodness I live in the mountains of Oregon and not where the rain comes in sideways on a regular basis.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stacytlrt:
I didn't say that I didn't have renters insurance, I just thought that windows and doors were ment to keep out the elements w/in reason. The sprinkler is not a steady stream and wasn't set there for days at a time. Only 3-4 hours, Thank goodness I live in the mountains of Oregon and not where the rain comes in sideways on a regular basis.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tracey and Stacy, thanks for your comments. I do not live in the Pacifc Northwest like you both do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">