• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease and agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arialia

I live in Utah. I recently starting renting with a friend. I had a friend over who happend to be a member of the opposite sex and we were alone in my room. My room mate was affended by this for some reason. Stating that it is moraly unclean. We had not signed a lease or contract yet. She then went to the land lord and told him to state in the lease that no members of the opposite sex are alowed in the appartment, unless the other roommate agrees. I do not agre to this and did not sign it. Can my land lord actually tell me who I can have as a guest in my home and make me sign that? Are there really laws about having a member of the opposite sex in your home? I did not sign it so does that mean I am not on the lease and my room mate or land lord can evict me?

T

Tracey

The language is probably unenforceable. An adult has a right to have any guests s/he wants. Neither the landlord nor a roommate can stop you. If you are paying rent directly to L, you are a month-to-month tenant whether you signed the lease or not. Roommate can't evict you, but L could terminate your lease on 30 days notice. On the other hand, your roommate will make your life hell. Decide whether to ignore her prudishness or to find a new place & leave her holding the entire rent bag. Make sure your name is removed from any utilities/phone bill/etc before you leave. If you leave, give L written notice 30 days before your next rent is due & leave. Amazingly enough, you don't have to give R notice because she's not your landlord!

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">