• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kykat

My husband and I signed a one-year lease for a house on Friday, but the real estate broker did not sign the lease. He gave us a copy of it without his signature on it. We gave him and security deposit and are awaiting a credit check. My husband is in the military (we also signed a military clause for termination if we received orders to move out of the area). We just found out today (from a reliable source) that we may be receiving orders in the next few weeks. If that is the case, we do not want to move now, and then again in 5 or six months. My question is, is the lease agreement still valid and do we have to go through with the move in or are we still liable for the rent? Also, should we get our deposit back? Our move-in date is in 4 days.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kykat:
My husband and I signed a one-year lease for a house on Friday, but the real estate broker did not sign the lease. He gave us a copy of it without his signature on it. We gave him and security deposit and are awaiting a credit check. My husband is in the military (we also signed a military clause for termination if we received orders to move out of the area). We just found out today (from a reliable source) that we may be receiving orders in the next few weeks. If that is the case, we do not want to move now, and then again in 5 or six months. My question is, is the lease agreement still valid and do we have to go through with the move in or are we still liable for the rent? Also, should we get our deposit back? Our move-in date is in 4 days.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can your move-in date be in 4 days when you did not yet get word that your credit check passed and you have no signed lease agreement? Without a signed lease agreement by both parties, there is no valid lease agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">