• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LEASE OPTION- LANLORD SAYS IT IS NULL & VOID

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

florence

I signed a lease with option to buy a house, 1 yr. ago. 5 months into lease I had a personal problem & did not pay rent for 30 days. The lease says "if I am 7 days late, I will be notified in writing& terms of the lease option will be terminated & lease will revert to a month to month rental agreement"."Lease option states that out of my rent, $100.00 goes into the option every month". I was given a 3 day notice & eviction papers & went before the court. Lanlord agreed to let me stay if I paid all court costs & rent with late fee, which I did. I would like to exercise my right to the lease option & buy house, however lanlord says since I broke lease, I can no longer exercise my option. Lanlord says I am paying all rent now & $100.00 is not going to my option. Help? Is this legal???

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by florence:
I signed a lease with option to buy a house, 1 yr. ago. 5 months into lease I had a personal problem & did not pay rent for 30 days. The lease says "if I am 7 days late, I will be notified in writing& terms of the lease option will be terminated & lease will revert to a month to month rental agreement"."Lease option states that out of my rent, $100.00 goes into the option every month". I was given a 3 day notice & eviction papers & went before the court. Lanlord agreed to let me stay if I paid all court costs & rent with late fee, which I did. I would like to exercise my right to the lease option & buy house, however lanlord says since I broke lease, I can no longer exercise my option. Lanlord says I am paying all rent now & $100.00 is not going to my option. Help? Is this legal??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. One of the conditions of the lease option was to pay rent on time. Since you defaulted, the option was cancelled and you have only a L/T lease with no option to purchase. Therefore, there is no option to exercise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">