• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leased water heater

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dhouseman

I purchased a home almost 4 years ago. The local Gas Company called and stated that the hot water heater is on lease from the previous owner and that I need to ether start paying the lease, purchase it or replace it. The lease was never disclosed in the sale agreement. Further checking revealed that it might have been the owners before them that signed the lease. The gas co. is unable to give me a serial # or model to compare with the one in my home.
Question; Am I liable?

T

Tracey

Tell them to prove that it's their heater and was leased rather than sold. If they can prove it, they can take the heater. They can't charge you rent because you didn't have notice.

If it's that old, maybe this is a good time to install a newer, more efficient, possibly gas heater?

-------

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">