• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

leaving with dignity and one half the assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eileengibler

I am 61 yr old female on Soc Sec Dis, living with a male cousin, same age, unemployed, unwilling to work, and I'm at risk of losing this house and property we share, 50-50, deed reading joint tenancy survivorship. Is there a court that will enable me to leave without jeopardizing my investment here? Because I'm a homeowner, I'm not entitled to an apartment/rental assistance. My income of $545.00 does not leave me any options that I know of. Any advice, please? Thank you.
E

T

Tracey

You can sell your 1/2 of the house if you can find someone who wants to live with your cousin. Otherwise, you'll have to sue him to partition the house by sale. The court will order the house sold & divvy up the proceeds between you two.

Consult a real estate attorney on how to do this & how to get the most $$ from the sale. If you can't afford an attorney, contact legal aid, the elder law association, or the state bar & ask various attorneys if they'll take your case pro bono.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">