• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NPackard

What is the name of your state? Florida

Is it legal to shut the electricity off to a room to a tenant that is living in my house?
I let her rent the 3rd bedroom and 2nd outdoor bathroom since January (She only paid March, April, and half of May. Never paid the pro-rated rent for January OR rent for February OR the security deposit).
She hasn't paid electric since March.
She only paid HALF of Mays rent, and now she's been causing problems (not only with police, but with me and my family).

Now that she hasn't paid electricity since March, is it legal for me to shut it off to her room until she pays her part?

justalayman

I'm not even going to bother looking it up but I can say without much doubt that NO, you cannot turn off a tenants power.

You need to evict her if you are having this many problems. Just be sure to follow those laws when doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">