• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which legal entities own land by default when owners die without heirs, or foreclose?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inner_silence

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I just want to find out if I understand correctly. Is it true that the government claims someone's land if they die without giving it to an heir, and the lenders own it if someone forecloses? Can someone tell me exactly which offices or branches of government would deal with this kind of thing, and also, who exactly are the lenders who own the land? Are they called 'real estate lenders' or something? Do they only own the land if someone hasn't finished paying for it yet, and the government will own it if the deceased owner *has* finished paying for it?

tranquility

If there truly are NO heirs, the land is said to escheat to the state. But, if someone does pop up and claim he is an heir, http://www.patreasury.gov/claim/ .

If a person with a security on the land forecloses, they can sell the land and the money in excess of the debt will escheat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">