• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A legal question about a deed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cwright

My husbands father past away 3 years ago,there was no will.He has 3 boys from his first wife,2 girls from his second,he was not married for 12 years at the time of his death.The deed to the house&land is in his name,My husbands name is also on the deed,from where he signed the deed back over to his father,His father needed a loan from the bank,so the deed had to be just in his name.My question is what do we do about putting the deed in my husbands name again or putting it in our daughters name,so that when she turns 18 we will know she has a place to call home.Can we do anything with the deed,since my father in law is past away,Do we have to get all of the siblings to sign something,We are living on the land in a trailer and have been since before my father in law died.Thank You.

HomeGuru

cwright said:
My husbands father past away 3 years ago,there was no will.He has 3 boys from his first wife,2 girls from his second,he was not married for 12 years at the time of his death.The deed to the house&land is in his name,My husbands name is also on the deed,from where he signed the deed back over to his father,His father needed a loan from the bank,so the deed had to be just in his name.My question is what do we do about putting the deed in my husbands name again or putting it in our daughters name,so that when she turns 18 we will know she has a place to call home.Can we do anything with the deed,since my father in law is past away,Do we have to get all of the siblings to sign something,We are living on the land in a trailer and have been since before my father in law died.Thank You.
**A: 3 years ago the property should have been in probate. Consult an estate attorney and get this done.
Until probate is completed, the deed will be in the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">