• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Rights To Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

watts

What is the name of your state? west virginia
three years ago my fiance' and i moved into his mothers house the agreement was this he would be the only that could help her as she grew older and needed help it was just easier to be here. she hadn't lived in the home for al least four years but my fiance's brother had and virtually destroyed the home. hjs mother asked him to leave we did alot of cleaning and repairing before i would stay one night here. all utilities were transferred to my fiance's name and we continued to make repairs to the home. in exchange for us and our children doing this she said the home would be left to him in her will. i thought this was a pretty good deal until she moved in a year ago (she had been a live caretaker for years and not occupied the home) she started tearing apart all the work we had done. she is a total slob and takes care of nothing. she refuses to help with any utilities she says she dosent' have to and then after everything she tells my fiance' that shes not leaving the home to him and had never planned on it. do we have any legal right's?

my questions are:
1) does she legally have the right to make us leave?

2) does the work, time and money we have put into the home mean anything leagally to us?

3) does the fact she has not occupied the home for at least five years the last three of which we have lived here, and she has been back only a year help us any?

there is no written agreement but i do have reciepts for the work that has been done. please help!!!!!!

HomeGuru

watts said:
What is the name of your state? west virginia
three years ago my fiance' and i moved into his mothers house the agreement was this he would be the only that could help her as she grew older and needed help it was just easier to be here. she hadn't lived in the home for al least four years but my fiance's brother had and virtually destroyed the home. hjs mother asked him to leave we did alot of cleaning and repairing before i would stay one night here. all utilities were transferred to my fiance's name and we continued to make repairs to the home. in exchange for us and our children doing this she said the home would be left to him in her will. i thought this was a pretty good deal until she moved in a year ago (she had been a live caretaker for years and not occupied the home) she started tearing apart all the work we had done. she is a total slob and takes care of nothing. she refuses to help with any utilities she says she dosent' have to and then after everything she tells my fiance' that shes not leaving the home to him and had never planned on it. do we have any legal right's?

my questions are:
1) does she legally have the right to make us leave?

**A: yes, because she is the legal owner of record. You folks are not.

2) does the work, time and money we have put into the home mean anything leagally to us?

**A: possibly. You could file litigation and claim reimbursement for those documented expenses.

3) does the fact she has not occupied the home for at least five years the last three of which we have lived here, and she has been back only a year help us any?

**A: no, non-residency means squat. She did not have to live there and could have lived on the North Pole all those years.
there is no written agreement but i do have reciepts for the work that has been done. please help!!!!!!

**A: you could file partition claim but that is a long shot considering you have no written agreement of ownership or current and/or future equitable interest in theproperty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">