• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lein on my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Troy Nolen

I had a sprinkler system installed this summer. Now I have 2 issues with the sprinkler installer. (1) When he was bidding on the job, he agreed to install a faucet at the back fence. During the installation I mentioned this to his worker and he said he knew nothing about it, but would put it in. The co. owner now says he agreed to put it at the back of my house, not at the back fence. I tried to explain to him that I already have a faucet on the back of my house and that I told him I wanted it at the back fence. He's now charging me $250 for this. The company owner never asked me if I would be willing to pay an additional amount, he just sent me a bill. (2) Again, while bidding for the job he told me that he used a better grade of sprinkler head than what most people use and certainly better than what I could buy at the local home building center. He said the springs were stronger in the "grade" of head that he used. After the additional money issue came up, I called the sprinkler manufacturer and asked about the different grades of heads. The technical dept. of the sprinkler manufacturer told me there were no different "grades" all heads of this model are the same. All springs are the same.

I sent the sprinkler installer a check for what I felt was a fair price to install 3 extra heads that I had requested. He says he's refusing to accept my payment unless it is for the full amount and that he is going to put a lien on my house.

He did give me a proposal, but he never had me sign a contract. He verbally agreed to install the faucet, but again has nothing in writing.

Can he put a lien on my house for my refusal to pay the full amount he's billing me for? And do I have any valid grievence against him because he lied to me about putting in a better grade of head?

Thanks!
Troy

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troy Nolen:
I had a sprinkler system installed this summer. Now I have 2 issues with the sprinkler installer. (1) When he was bidding on the job, he agreed to install a faucet at the back fence. During the installation I mentioned this to his worker and he said he knew nothing about it, but would put it in. The co. owner now says he agreed to put it at the back of my house, not at the back fence. I tried to explain to him that I already have a faucet on the back of my house and that I told him I wanted it at the back fence. He's now charging me $250 for this. The company owner never asked me if I would be willing to pay an additional amount, he just sent me a bill. (2) Again, while bidding for the job he told me that he used a better grade of sprinkler head than what most people use and certainly better than what I could buy at the local home building center. He said the springs were stronger in the "grade" of head that he used. After the additional money issue came up, I called the sprinkler manufacturer and asked about the different grades of heads. The technical dept. of the sprinkler manufacturer told me there were no different "grades" all heads of this model are the same. All springs are the same.

I sent the sprinkler installer a check for what I felt was a fair price to install 3 extra heads that I had requested. He says he's refusing to accept my payment unless it is for the full amount and that he is going to put a lien on my house.

He did give me a proposal, but he never had me sign a contract. He verbally agreed to install the faucet, but again has nothing in writing.

Can he put a lien on my house for my refusal to pay the full amount he's billing me for? And do I have any valid grievence against him because he lied to me about putting in a better grade of head?

Thanks!
Troy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has a right to file a lien and you have a right to file a complaint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">