• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lein Question/Selling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jim153799

What is the name of your state? New York.
I have sold my home. I am the sole borrower as far as the mortgage goes, however my long time girlfriend's name is on the deed, along with my name. She passed away two years ago, and what I'm concerned with, is the possibility that there may be liens on the property because of her. If so, will I have to pay those liens off, or is there any legal recourse so that I'm not held responsible for those liens?

Last edited:

nextwife

Ouch. How did you and she hold title? Why was her interest not dealt with when her probate was done? Were her creditors paid off out of probate?

A. You can't sell if her interest cannot be conveyed.

B. Any docketed judgements or tax liens against a co-owner attaches to their real estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">