• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

length of time for adverse possession in AL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

klindley

I need to find out what the length of time is in order to take adverse possession of property in the state of Alabama.

Does anyone know this length of time? Can anyone give me an idea of where to look in the Alabama Codes for this time? I've looked in the "Property" sections of the code, but this info wasn't appearant?

Thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by klindley:
I need to find out what the length of time is in order to take adverse possession of property in the state of Alabama.

Does anyone know this length of time? Can anyone give me an idea of where to look in the Alabama Codes for this time? I've looked in the "Property" sections of the code, but this info wasn't appearant?

Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please provide the details on how you plan on aquiring property through this method. How long have you owned your property, have you been using the property that you are claiming, if so, how long have you been using the property and for what purpose, does the landowner know that you are using the property, did the landowner give you permission to use the property, is the landowner a private entity, are you paying real property taxes on the property, etc.?

K

klindley

I'm the landowner and I'm worried about encroachments on both sides of me. The property is a vacant lot, periodically checked, but infrequently. I'm in the process of a survey now. I will find an encroachment on one side or the other or both after the results are in.
I'm really curious if the survey stakes are going to spur the encroachers to run to the courthouse for an easement. Therefore I'd like to know what the time frame for easement by prescription or adverse possession is.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by klindley:
I'm the landowner and I'm worried about encroachments on both sides of me. The property is a vacant lot, periodically checked, but infrequently. I'm in the process of a survey now. I will find an encroachment on one side or the other or both after the results are in.
I'm really curious if the survey stakes are going to spur the encroachers to run to the courthouse for an easement. Therefore I'd like to know what the time frame for easement by prescription or adverse possession is.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Encroachments are not the same as adverse possession. Do a search on this BB using the search words
1. adverse possession and
2. encroachment(s)

Happy reading.

K

klindley

Well, we can split hairs on the semantics of adverse possession... ie: an entire parcel is taken or possession is granted by an easement by prescription, the question was:

Does anyone know, or can anyone tell me where to find in the Alabama Code the length of time it takes to acquire land by adverse possession... or easement by prescription should the time be different.

(I believe my reading stated an easement by prescription was a form of adverse possession, but whatever.)

HomeGuru

Well, we can split hairs on the semantics of adverse possession... ie: an entire parcel is taken or possession is granted by an easement by prescription, the question was:

Does anyone know, or can anyone tell me where to find in the Alabama Code the length of time it takes to acquire land by adverse possession... or easement by prescription should the time be different.

(I believe my reading stated an easement by prescription was a form of adverse possession, but whatever.)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Klindley, I have kindly attempted to help you by requesting more information to make sure you are approaching the issue the correct way. There are no semantics but rather legal issues based on law.
Since you want to play your own attorney that is fine with me. Your example of adverse possession may be incorrect.

K

klindley

Mr Homeguru,

I really don't wish to seem ungrateful for your corrections, or any help you might try to provide. I'm most grateful for all help.

An easement by prescription is really my concern. There is a period of time that a hostile must wait before filing for the easement. That's all I'm trying to find. I thought it would be easy.

If you're interested, any confusion I appear to be broadcasting stems from a passage in my real estate book... I paraphrase: "if an attempt at adverse possession fails in court, an easement by prescription may be granted."

Adverse possession and an Easement By Prescription probably share the same time frame. If they do, I'd love to know the period of time, if they're different I'd love to know both. I don't know where to look in the law. I'm sure at this point calling a lawyer will be the easiest way to find out, but what fun it that?

Thanks for your attempts to help. I'm not ungrateful.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

The elements essential to establishing a prescriptive title are in general the same as those for acquiring land by adverse possession--open and notorious use, continuous and uninterrupted for the requisite period, hostile to the true owner, exclusive, and under a claim of right. Payment of taxes need not be shown, however, unless the easement is assessed separately from the land.

Alabama Statute
Section 6-5-200
When title to land conferred or defeated; when claim may be defended or prosecuted; construction of section.
(a) Adverse possession cannot confer or defeat title to land unless:
(1) The party setting it up shall show that a deed or other color of title purporting to convey title to him has been duly recorded in the office of the judge of probate of the county in which the land lies for 10 years before the commencement of the action;
(2) He and those through whom he claims shall have annually listed the land for taxation in the proper county for 10 years prior to the commencement of the action if the land is subject to taxation; or
(3) He derives title by descent cast or devise from a predecessor in the title who was in possession of the land.
(b) If the period during which the party's deed or color of title has been on record, added to the time during which the deeds or color of title of those through whom he claims have been on record, amounts to 10 years, he may defend or prosecute on his adverse possession, and an inadvertent failure to list the land for taxation, any unintentional mistake in the description of the assessment or unintentional omission of any part of it from the assessment during the period of 10 years shall not bar the party of his action or defense on his adverse possession.
(c) This section shall not be construed to affect in any way a title perfect by adverse possession before the adoption of this Code, nor to deprive any person of his rights under Sections 6-6-286 through 6-6-289, nor to affect cases involving a question as to boundaries between coterminous owners.
(Code 1896, §§1541-1546; Code 1907, §2830; Code 1923, §6069; Code 1940, T. 7, §828.)

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

K

klindley

Mr. Liable, that sir, is an overwhelmingly exceptional answer to my question. You are royalty. Now if I could understand what I read, I'd be somebody!

Obviously, the answer to my rudimentary question is 10 years. However I gather from the text the procedure and issue go much deeper.

I wonder if I interrpet correctly that the adverse possessor must have some form of title or entitlement recorded with the county for 10 years before procedings for adverse possession can take place? Further, it appears the land must have been listed for taxation for that same amount of time. Part 3 states that if the deed or title was acquired by will it might also be valid. And goes further to include "tacking" as a permissable way of acquiring the 10 years.

I'll read the other sections mentioned, perhaps a bigger light bulb will go off. Since my issue involves common border with my neighbors my issue could be address better elsewhere, huh? (The last part of the third part.)

Thank you very much for this start. Now I have a place to go to find more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">