• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lvcats

In our divorce my ex husband was awarded the house and responsibility for it by the courts. The mortgage company does not recognize the court order and refuses to take my name from the mortgage. What is my responsibility/liability should my ex quit paying? He has consistantly been about two months behind in payments the past year.

I have since remarried. Could the mortgage company attach any joint property I may hold with my current spouse. We are concerned about creating joint bank accounts etc because of the liability I may have with that previous mortgage. Any advise is appreciated.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lvcats:
In our divorce my ex husband was awarded the house and responsibility for it by the courts. The mortgage company does not recognize the court order and refuses to take my name from the mortgage. What is my responsibility/liability should my ex quit paying? He has consistantly been about two months behind in payments the past year.

I have since remarried. Could the mortgage company attach any joint property I may hold with my current spouse. We are concerned about creating joint bank accounts etc because of the liability I may have with that previous mortgage. Any advise is appreciated.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have the same liability as when you were married since you are still on the mortgage. The language in the divorce decree may not have been written properly or your ex may not have followed through with all requirements. In your situation, your ex was supposed to refinance the mortgage to take you off. Did the decree specify and require this task?
Since you are still on the hook, your credit, buying power will be affected. Any joint assets you hold with your current husband is not protected from your creditors such as this mortgage lender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">