• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liability for bamboo growth into adjacent property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tim.

SANTA CLARA COUNTY, SAN JOSE CA.

I bought my house 3 years ago. Two sides of my backyard were planted with bamboo, which gives a superb degree of privacy. Within a few months of purchasing the house, one of my neighbors told me that the bamboo was growing under the fence and into her backyard, and she asked me to stop the bamboo from growing into her yard. The patch of her yard was a corner behind the shed, and the bamboo was growing up through a pile of junk that included lawn chairs and a toilet! So I shuffled around the junk and began my best efforts at bamboo control, and have continued to battle with the bamboo ever since. My neighbor continues to ask me to control the bamboo, and I continue to battle for control! I've been reasonably successful and have managed to kill off and halt all of the growth in her backyard behind the shed, and most of it between the fence and her shed.

In the spring of 2000, my neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to look at some damage the bamboo had caused to their driveway. So I went to look. The driveway showed (and still shows) a significant number of cracks and a significant degree of subsistence along its entire length and width. I told the neighbors that I really didn't think that the bamboo could have caused the crack in her driveway she referred to, and pointed out the age and general state of her driveway, saying that it was probably the result of age and wear-and-tear. But I also told them that I would go look for any roots growing in that direction and cut them, which I did.

About two months ago the neighbor began to insist that I permanently remove the bamboo. Well, frankly, this is what I want to do, but the shared fence between our property is only 4-feet high and desperately needs to be replaced (it was already sagging and propped when we purchased the house). I offered to remove the bamboo, providing that the fence was replaced immediately after the removal work, and gave the neighbor a (proposed) written agreement to replace the fence.

And that was the last I heard until Saturday .... when I received a certified letter from my neighbor threatening legal action and claiming that, after repeated requests, I have taken no action to resolve her issue of the bamboo intrusion into her property, the intrusive bamboo growth has 1) damaged her backyard lawn, and, 2) caused her driveway to rupture, and, 3) unless I take immediate action to control the bamboo I am, and will continue to be liable for any present or future damage.

So, after all of that background, here are my three questions:
1. Am I now, and can I be held, responsible for the vegetation growth, bearing in mind that I have made continuous efforts to control the growth over time?
2. What is my position now that I had proposed a permanent solution (i.e. removal followed by fence replacement) and my neighbor has not replied?
3. Taking into account the state of my neighbors driveway, how likely is it that I can be held liable for the cracked portion of the driveway I was shown in the spring?

I appreciate any advice, help or direction!
-- Tim.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tim.:
SANTA CLARA COUNTY, SAN JOSE CA.

I bought my house 3 years ago. Two sides of my backyard were planted with bamboo, which gives a superb degree of privacy. Within a few months of purchasing the house, one of my neighbors told me that the bamboo was growing under the fence and into her backyard, and she asked me to stop the bamboo from growing into her yard. The patch of her yard was a corner behind the shed, and the bamboo was growing up through a pile of junk that included lawn chairs and a toilet! So I shuffled around the junk and began my best efforts at bamboo control, and have continued to battle with the bamboo ever since. My neighbor continues to ask me to control the bamboo, and I continue to battle for control! I've been reasonably successful and have managed to kill off and halt all of the growth in her backyard behind the shed, and most of it between the fence and her shed.

In the spring of 2000, my neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to look at some damage the bamboo had caused to their driveway. So I went to look. The driveway showed (and still shows) a significant number of cracks and a significant degree of subsistence along its entire length and width. I told the neighbors that I really didn't think that the bamboo could have caused the crack in her driveway she referred to, and pointed out the age and general state of her driveway, saying that it was probably the result of age and wear-and-tear. But I also told them that I would go look for any roots growing in that direction and cut them, which I did.

About two months ago the neighbor began to insist that I permanently remove the bamboo. Well, frankly, this is what I want to do, but the shared fence between our property is only 4-feet high and desperately needs to be replaced (it was already sagging and propped when we purchased the house). I offered to remove the bamboo, providing that the fence was replaced immediately after the removal work, and gave the neighbor a (proposed) written agreement to replace the fence.

And that was the last I heard until Saturday .... when I received a certified letter from my neighbor threatening legal action and claiming that, after repeated requests, I have taken no action to resolve her issue of the bamboo intrusion into her property, the intrusive bamboo growth has 1) damaged her backyard lawn, and, 2) caused her driveway to rupture, and, 3) unless I take immediate action to control the bamboo I am, and will continue to be liable for any present or future damage.

So, after all of that background, here are my three questions:
1. Am I now, and can I be held, responsible for the vegetation growth, bearing in mind that I have made continuous efforts to control the growth over time?
2. What is my position now that I had proposed a permanent solution (i.e. removal followed by fence replacement) and my neighbor has not replied?
3. Taking into account the state of my neighbors driveway, how likely is it that I can be held liable for the cracked portion of the driveway I was shown in the spring?

I appreciate any advice, help or direction!
-- Tim.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Yes, you continue to remain responsible and liable.

2. You are in a good position since you chose to mitigate further damages.

3. Accept no responsibilty for the cracked driveway. Cracks could have been due to poor soil/drainage conditions, freeze/thaw consitions, old age, poor construction and design, faulty building materials, abnormal and accelerated weathering, lack of or poor maintenance etc. Bamboo is part of the grass family. Was not your intent to let the bamboo grow as part of the Feng Shui?

T

Tracey

How to stop golden bamboo from taking over the entire block:
root-prune the bamboo to a depth of 2 feet, then install a sheet of steel 2 feet down into the ground. this fences inthe bamboo so that its roots can't spread & send up new shoots. You'll need to check periodically to see if any roots have jumped the steel sheet. Be sure you get all the roots on the far side out, or they'll become independent bamboo stands.

Tracey, who has spent way too much time in the local nursery telling herself, "No, you don't have time to keep it pruned back. No bamboo."

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

T

TimMalcolm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
How to stop golden bamboo from taking over the entire block:
root-prune the bamboo to a depth of 2 feet, then install a sheet of steel 2 feet down into the ground.
Tracey, who has spent way too much time in the local nursery telling herself, "No, you don't have time to keep it pruned back. No bamboo."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only 2-feet? I figure the more the better! In the places where I put down a barrier it goes down 3 1/2 feet! For some reason it just never occured to me to put a barrier by the fence to stop growth in the neighbors yard .... I've just been root trimming, growth cutting, and liberally applying RoundUp. But now it's time for the sheet metal.

The previous owners planted 12, yes 12, types of bamboo. It's now down to 5. I've got only one type of "running" bamboo left, and wouldn't you know, it the stand the neighbour has issue with!

BTW - I had to register to reply, hence the name change.

T

TimMalcolm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
1. Yes, you continue to remain responsible and liable.

2. You are in a good position since you chose to mitigate further damages.

3. Accept no responsibilty for the cracked driveway. Cracks could have been due to poor soil/drainage conditions, freeze/thaw consitions, old age, poor construction and design, faulty building materials, abnormal and accelerated weathering, lack of or poor maintenance etc. Bamboo is part of the grass family. Was not your intent to let the bamboo grow as part of the Feng Shui?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HomeGuru -
Do you think Feng Shui would work as a legal defense? Maybe I could convert to Feng Shui-ism, then claim demands for bamboo trimming violate my constitutions right to freedom of religion!

But seriously now, thanks for the advice. Prior to my posting I had sent my neighbor a certified letter which essentially said:
1) there is no damage, anywhere,
2), I have performed, and will continue to perform, regular inspections, control and maintenance measures,
3) I have responded, and will continue to respond, to any specific requests for bamboo treatment and control.

I'm just going to have to wait and see what the neighbor does next. Hopefully it won't be a law suit!

Meanwhile it's time to try Tracey's sheet metal advice, and save up for some landscaping and fencing work!

-- Tim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">