• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability For Damage Caused By Tree Roots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lukeL

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

What is my liability as a property owner whose tree roots are damaging a neighbor's driveway? Are the roots "trespassing?"

Supposing these same trees comprised a common property boundary line?

Supposing these trees were directly abutted by a fence maintained by the damaged driveway neighbor?

What else can I look to to deny liability for the driveway damage?

C

cclovins

My experiance is I told a nieghbor his tree was gonna fall on my house and offered to take it down. He refused. Well it did and the only thing that made him liable was I told him. So he had to pay for it. If didn't tell him my homeowners insurance would have taken care of it. So your nieghbor's insurance is responsible.

N

NoJustice

California Trees

In CA if a tree is sitting on the property line, both owners are responsible for the tree's roots. If tree trunk is totally on one property then the owner of that property is responsible for the tree's roots.

I found this information in the California Codes. I feel certain NY has codes of civil procedure, etc. Do an online search for New York Codes or NY Statues. They should be searchable.

Hope this helps. Nomads4 fun

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">