• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

landlord trouble

I previously owned a mobile home on a rented lot. I moved out of the trailer over 2 years ago and sold it to a gentleman who was to move it off of the lot. The trailer was moved off of the rented lot and parked in an adjacent area that was owned by the park owner (as approved by the owner who was aware of the sale). The person who purchased the trailer was to pick it up the following week. I signed off the title to him and paid the final taxes on the trailer.

Last week I found out the person whom purchased the trailer never came and picked it up. It has been sitting on the adjacent lot for the past year.

The landlord got a title for the trailer and disposed of it. He now wants me to pay him in excess of $2,000 for rent and legal fees.

My question is can I be held liable for this amount? The landlord never contacted me or made me aware that the trailer was still there. He took the liberty of disposing of the trailer without contacting me because he knew that I did not own it, however he insists that I am responsible to pay him. He had my phone number and could have given me a call at any point. I was never even made aware that there was a problem.

What are my options?

L

loudrich

ummm....well you are the only person the landlord can find so.. he's trying to scam you into paying him....

sounds like a typical dumb ass rednck to me

--------------------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by landlord trouble:
I previously owned a mobile home on a rented lot. I moved out of the trailer over 2 years ago and sold it to a gentleman who was to move it off of the lot. The trailer was moved off of the rented lot and parked in an adjacent area that was owned by the park owner (as approved by the owner who was aware of the sale). The person who purchased the trailer was to pick it up the following week. I signed off the title to him and paid the final taxes on the trailer.

Last week I found out the person whom purchased the trailer never came and picked it up. It has been sitting on the adjacent lot for the past year.

The landlord got a title for the trailer and disposed of it. He now wants me to pay him in excess of $2,000 for rent and legal fees.

My question is can I be held liable for this amount? The landlord never contacted me or made me aware that the trailer was still there. He took the liberty of disposing of the trailer without contacting me because he knew that I did not own it, however he insists that I am responsible to pay him. He had my phone number and could have given me a call at any point. I was never even made aware that there was a problem.

What are my options?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

T

Tracey

L's claim is BS. You had sold the trailor, L knew you'd sold it, you didn't put it on L's land, L gave the buyer permission to park it, etc. You have no contractual relationship with L & L's only recourse was to get judicial approval to sell the trailor & use the proceeds to recoup his losses. You are in the clear. Tell L to pound sand.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

L

Landlord Trouble

Thanks for the reply. This is what I thought too but I wasn't sure. He has not filed anything with the courts and I have not been contacted by any attorneys. We'll wait and see what he does. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">