• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied to by Condo Sales Rep - what recourse do we have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tasia55

We are purchasing a condo in Indiana and are scheduled to close next week. From the first time we set foot in this unit (new construction) we were told that the underground utility boxes ("pedestals") which are located at the end of the patio were put there in error and would be moved. We questioned this several times during the last 3 mos and were assured they would be moved although it was not a "priority" with the utility companies. Having lost faith in this builder for several reasons we contacted the utility company directly and were informed that there was absolutely no record of a problem or any inquiry about moving the boxes. At our insistance they have now assesed the situation and say that the boxes can be moved but there would be a considerable charge for doing so and the builder is refusing to absorb this charge telling us it would have to be at our cost.

It is not practical for us to walk away from this purchase now as all arrangements for our move are in place (although we would love to tell them where to go!!!!!) So I guess my question is, do we have any legal recourse in this matter after the closing? And I would especially like to know what governing agencies, if any, control new home/condo sales as I definitely want to report the fraudulent and deceptive practices of this builders sales personnel. (Unfortunately, this is not the only lie we have beem told during this whole transaction!)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

D.Font

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tasia55:
We are purchasing a condo in Indiana and are scheduled to close next week. From the first time we set foot in this unit (new construction) we were told that the underground utility boxes ("pedestals") which are located at the end of the patio were put there in error and would be moved. We questioned this several times during the last 3 mos and were assured they would be moved although it was not a "priority" with the utility companies. Having lost faith in this builder for several reasons we contacted the utility company directly and were informed that there was absolutely no record of a problem or any inquiry about moving the boxes. At our insistance they have now assesed the situation and say that the boxes can be moved but there would be a considerable charge for doing so and the builder is refusing to absorb this charge telling us it would have to be at our cost.

It is not practical for us to walk away from this purchase now as all arrangements for our move are in place (although we would love to tell them where to go!!!!!) So I guess my question is, do we have any legal recourse in this matter after the closing? And I would especially like to know what governing agencies, if any, control new home/condo sales as I definitely want to report the fraudulent and deceptive practices of this builders sales personnel. (Unfortunately, this is not the only lie we have beem told during this whole transaction!)

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

D.Font
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do not have anything in writing you are stuck. File complaints with the State real estate licensing board/commission, the local Board of Realtors, the BBB, Attorney General's Office etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">