• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien on Vehicle in my possession problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Ture 7

What is the name of your state? NY and/or CA

I wanted to find out how I would be able to gain the rights to own a vehicle that is in my Ex Father in law's name. Here is how it came about:
I bought the vehicle new, in 1999 as a co-borrower. I now know it was a mistake. I made all the payments on the car and the vehicle has been paid off. Currently I can not find him to get the title for a transfer of ownership. Somehow his cell # has been disconnected and the address he gave me has a person there telling me he never lived there.

I have had the car in my possesion since 1999. Is there a way to put a lein on the car to make it legally mine after a certain amount of days/months?

Is there another way to get ownership of the vehicle without him?

Thanks for any help!

AL

Last edited:

T

Ture 7

OOps.. Im sorry, I couldn't find one of the listed forum topics that seem to fit this question.

I thought I could use the abandoned car on my property to gain onwership of it.

Could a moderator move it to the correct forum area.

Thanks,
Al

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">