• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liens and Reduction of Code Enforcement Fines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Oh Fence

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello All,

In early 2014 my brother began work repairing an existing 40 ft. section of fence on my then-recently deceased mother's home(where I also live)...without a permit. Received a violation notice. Procrastinated. Applied for a permit a month later and was denied due to a gate latching issue. Procrastinated some more. Returned to apply again a few months afterward but was told by the clerk that my brother, as executor of the will, would have to be the one signing all the paperwork. Well he couldn't be corralled at this point as he was, and is, currently dealing with a tumor that is forcing his eyeball out of its socket. It looks downright disturbing and he isn't receiving medical care, and honestly, he just looks like death. He also doesn't seem to care about anything at all really, least of all fence permits. We spoke rarely before my mother's passing, and even less so now. He simply doesn't make himself available.

In October 2014 notice was sent to my home for my mother(not the estate of.) to appear at a magistrate hearing regarding this matter. Obviously she didn't make it. And I also didn't bother notifying them AGAIN that she had passed(apparently this information didn't make it beyond the clerk's desk as she was already aware of her passing). Received a letter two weeks later showing that this matter had been adjudicated(now against the estate of.) and that we were now being assessed a $100 per diem fine.

Thus began a self-destructive stretch of inaction on my part. A little over a year in total. Lien was recorded this last October.

Finally returned this December and got a permit approved. Contractor begins work tomorrow.

Questions:

They said after all work and inspections were completed that I could apply for a mitigation hearing. I figured the main mitigating factor is that the new fence, albeit a permit-less one, is a lot more secure than the rotten, rickety one it replaced. And that it has no external handle/unlocking mechanism and therefore wandering kids wouldn't be at risk. After all, code enforcement is all about safety!...right, guys? Guys?

Beyond that...I haven't much. There really isn't an excuse. But I can tell you, if you've lived with someone for 37 unbroken years, namely your mother, and one day, like any of the other days that preceded it, there's a knock at the door, and a bunch of strangers in a big blaring truck come to collect your loved one and take them away like an old couch, never to be returned...well, it affects a guy. It just does. Not for a day or days, or even months. Yes, I understand life goes on, but for the year and a half afterward nothing mattered. Process simply didn't matter. I resented the notices taped on my door and the people who brought them. I had no interest in appeasing them. The mind is in an altered state after such events, a fog that only clears with time. And now reality has boomeranged back.

Anyways, if you do the math the fees are now up around $40,000. So what might I expect in terms of a reduction(hopefully)? Also, as a last legal resort, if the City isn't willing to deal, does the fact the magistrate hearing announcement that was addressed to my mother, specifically, and not the estate of., offer any type of loophole or reset for when the daily fines could begin? After all, I wasn't allowed "my day in court".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

John Se

follow the process

sounds like:

get the permit

fix your fence

appeal the fine

cities are generally reasonable

if not

take it to the local new station who like to run stories about bad cities beating up on poor surviving landowners

get to know the elected people in your local dity government

justalayman

The mitigating factors are the facts surrounding your mothers death. You could not represent your mothers estate and your brother is obviously in no condition to do so so the issue went unabated for the time it did. along with no authority to represent your mothers estate, you also did not have the authority to demolish the illegally installed fence and again, obviously your brother was in no condition to deal with it at the time either. Once whatever happened that allowed the fence project to move forward happened, well, there you are with the new fence.

It those cold careless soles can't see their way fit to remove the fines because your mother has recently passed which surely threw your life into a new and unwanted world of problems, then appeal to their sense of greed; pay them off. If that doesn't work, drag your brother into city hall and let him give them the old evil eye. That should scare the Hell out of them.

The last statement was made in humor only. Hopefully your brother is getting the treatment he needs.

Oh Fence

Thanks so much for your time, guys!

All good advice. And, Layman, you're not kidding about bringing my brother to city hall. I actually considered it myself. He's not an easy sight to take in, and further, to demand many thousands of dollars from someone for fence fines who hasn't even the money to pay for the brain imaging he desperately needs. Let alone treatment. But he's totally unreliable when it comes to showing up(due to "shame", I'm sure). So we'll see.

I'll keep this thread posted throughout the process as it may help someone in a "similar" situation.

Thanks again.

Dave1952

Has the estate finished probate? If not the executor or his representative should be handling this. It's not clear to me that the OP should be involved here.

Oh Fence

Has the estate finished probate? If not the executor or his representative should be handling this. It's not clear to me that the OP should be involved here.
Hello. No, the estate is still in probate, filed in November. My brother was the executor but has since waived that privilege per the petition. I am now listed as the executor. I apprised my attorney of the fence situation beforehand and all he said was "yeah, you need to take care of that". But you think he should be involved? I'd hate to go in all guns a' blazing when the city might have otherwise been willing to deal. Of course, that could just be my naiveté...

Note-- I've already spent more in fence permits and applications than the repair itself.

What county?

(I have had situations like this a few times.)
The U.S., thanks.

Last edited:

Dave1952

I did not realize that you are the current executor. In this case you or the estate's lawyer should deal with this. It's not clear why the estate did not deal with the magistrate's hearing. You (and the executor?) had the notice but failed to show up. Your suggestion that the hearing was for your mother won't fly, in my opinion. It sounds like BS. I presume that an appeal is no longer possible but look into that. So, what does the estate's lawyer advise about this "mitigation" or trying to resurrect the magistrate"s hearing?

Oh Fence

I did not realize that you are the current executor. In this case you or the estate's lawyer should deal with this. It's not clear why the estate did not deal with the magistrate's hearing. You (and the executor?) had the notice but failed to show up. Your suggestion that the hearing was for your mother won't fly, in my opinion. It sounds like BS. I presume that an appeal is no longer possible but look into that. So, what does the estate's lawyer advise about this "mitigation" or trying to resurrect the magistrate"s hearing?
The estate didn't deal with the magistrate's hearing due to...apathy and irresponsibility. The psychology thereof, though, has less to do with me shamelessly flouting the law and more with my malaise regarding my mother's passing. The fence permit wasn't the only life issue neglected during this time, not the least of which is my brother's medical concerns, so it's not as if my municipality was uniquely affected. I realize this may not be a proper defense, but it is the truth. Meanwhile, those who forge ahead after loss without skipping a beat, managing to dot all their I's and cross all their T's...well I guess they're just better people than I could ever be.

Note- when notice was served regarding the hearing my brother was still executor. I did apprise him of the hearing beforehand, but not that it was his responsibility, as executor, to deal with it personally. He assumed I would, apparently.

Yeah I concede the argument that because notice was sent to mom and not the estate that we should be entitled to a reset is largely bogus. Mind you, I never planned on bringing it up in the mitigation hearing, and instead was simply hoping there might be legal cause there as a last resort. Ah well.

Yeah, we forfeited our appeals option a long, long time ago.

As for my lawyer...I didn't propose the hearing-notice argument to him, mostly because he demonstrated little interest in engaging this specific matter when I spoke about it. Probably had something to do with the fact I'm paying him for probate services, only, and not to represent me in any other case. That's my guess.

It should be noted our money is very limited and is the reason it took so long for us to get to probate, waiting to find an attorney we could actually afford.

At this point we're just bracing ourselves for the city's decision and hoping it won't financially decimate us.

Neither here nor there: if code enforcement is really all about safety, then why don't they simply retrieve a court order after a few short months allowing them to bring your property up to code?...and then they can simply hand you the bill.I read of a case where a guy was collecting junk cars and appliances on his property and the city fined him for 3 years, which totaled in the many millions of dollars. Afterward they got a court order to clear the property. The owner was then given a bill for $10,000, which is a whole heck of a lot better than millions of dollars. If I didn't know any better I might think this whole fine scheme has less to do with compelling safety and aesthetic compliance than it does with the city hitting their budget. On all matters of spending. Which is why I'm so worried.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">