• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life estate question (Virginia)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

10ECPreacher

My father-in-law (holder of the life estate) just called my wife (his daughter, holder of the "remainder" with me) and invited her to meet him at the property in question at a certain time. He stipulated that I (her husband) and all 5 of our children should be with her. He further stated that he wants all her children to see her get arrested. (This was in a message he left on our voice mail.)

Can the person holding a life estate to a piece of property have the person who has the "remainder" of the property arrested for trespassing on the property without a cause?

Where could I find out more about what exactly a life estate is? I would like to know what all the holder of a life estate is entitled to.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HomeGuru

It depends on the terms and provisions in the life estate document.
In general, the life estate beneficiary could invoke a trespassing claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">