• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Estate Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegalSeek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
My FatherinLaw passed away leaving a will, in which he divided his land as life estates to his two adult children. After the life estates end, at their death, the land is to be given to two of his three grandchildren (one is an adult, the other is under the age of 18). The grandchild under the age of 18 was to have his portion in trust with the executrix until he is 21). One of the three grandchildren, who is an adult, was written out of the will. THe grandfather did not trust him, and this grandchild made threats to him, treated him poorly and such. The part of the will read:

"As I make this will, I have my grandson, (grandson name here), in mind, and it is my desire that he shall receive no portion of my estate under any circumstances."

Can one of the grandchildren that were named in the will, at such time it becomes his/hers, give a portion of it to this left out grandchild?

Also, during the life estates, may they build homes or place mobile homes on the properties for this third grandchild that was omitted?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">