• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life estate selling property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brm12450

What is the name of your state? ny

my mother deeded her house to me 5 years ago and retains a life estate. she is selling this house. the proceeds will be used to obtain an apartment in an independent living situation and pay all fees. i don't understand what portion of the proceeds i will get and what part my mother retains. needless to say i don't want to pay capital gains but i'm more interested in providing for my mother and protecting this money if she needs skilled care.

HomeGuru

brm12450 said:

my mother deeded her house to me 5 years ago and retains a life estate5{this house. the proceeds will be used to obtain an apartment in an independent living situation and pay all fees. i don't understand what portion of the proceeds i will get and what part my mother retains. needless to say i don't want to pay capital gains but i'm more interested in providing for my mother and protecting this money if she needs skilled care.

**A: duplicate thread.

mburger

brm12450 said:

my mother deeded her house to me 5 years ago and retains a life estate. she is selling this house. the proceeds will be used to obtain an apartment in an independent living situation and pay all fees. i don't understand what portion of the proceeds i will get and what part my mother retains. needless to say i don't want to pay capital gains but i'm more interested in providing for my mother and protecting this money if she needs skilled care.
I am curious what finally did happen with the sell and the corresponding buy. I am in a similiar situation and an getting conflicting advise from lawyers!! My situation is that I want to sell property and buy another with same arrangement (ie life estate). One lawyer said can't be done another said no problem. I want to go via the 1030 (Like Kind Exchange) since property was used as rental for past 15 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">