• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pamelant

My father recently passed away and left 60 acres to my brother, sister and I to be divided equally 20/20/20. I have decided to sell my 20 and have offered my siblings "first right of refusal" at a price ($1700/acre) better than fair market value ($2000/acre). My sister is not happy about this and feels I should sell it to her for <$500/acre since the land is, as she calls it, "free land". She has said that I will not be legally able to sell my 20 acres due to something she calls "Life rights". What does "life rights" mean and is my sister correct?:(

HomeGuru

Pamelant said:
My father recently passed away and left 60 acres to my brother, sister and I to be divided equally 20/20/20. I have decided to sell my 20 and have offered my siblings "first right of refusal" at a price ($1700/acre) better than fair market value ($2000/acre). My sister is not happy about this and feels I should sell it to her for <$500/acre since the land is, as she calls it, "free land". She has said that I will not be legally able to sell my 20 acres due to something she calls "Life rights". What does "life rights" mean and is my sister correct?:(
**A: if you have a deed in your name for 20 acres with nothing else on title, you are free to sell the land for any amount you want. I do not know what she is talking about with the life rights unless maybe if you don't sell the land to her at $500/acre, maybe you will have no rights to life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">