• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lifetime Dowry Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qqs

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My uncle deeded his house and land to me but retained lifetime dowry (originally my grandparents property, deeded to him, but they retained lifetime dowry until their death). He lives in the house, I live in another town. He has let the insurance drop. There is a workshop on the property. I am worried that someone might get hurt and sue me. What is my liability in this situation?What is the name of your state?

qqs

Expensive Insurance

The thing is, I have checked insurance prices. It is a large chunk of $$ since he has a wood working shop on the premises as a business.

moburkes

qqs said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My uncle deeded his house and land to me but retained lifetime dowry (originally my grandparents property, deeded to him, but they retained lifetime dowry until their death). He lives in the house, I live in another town. He has let the insurance drop. There is a workshop on the property. I am worried that someone might get hurt and sue me. What is my liability in this situation?What is the name of your state?

You've answered your own question. Since you are the owner, you can be sued. You can either take the risk w/o insurance, or pruchase insurance (at whatever cost). You can also get rid of the problem that is causing the premiums to be expensive.

fairisfair

or, you could just deed it right back to your uncle, apparently you don't seem all that grateful for it anyway.

wdlsguy

Maybe you could create an LLC, and retitle the land to the LLC. That would limit your personal liability somewhat.

I am not a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">