• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lifetime rights in house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teaber59

I live in VA and my mother lives in NC. Several years ago, my mother deeded her home in NC to me. I would like to give my mother a document that shows that she has lifetime rights to live in the home. Reason: My mother tried to get senior citizen/low income assistance to have her home winterized through a local agency, but was denied because the house is in my name. What type of document do I need for her and do I need an attorney to draw up this document? Should this document be recorded in the Clerk's office? Can I have this document prepared, signed and notarized in VA? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Your other was foolish to deed the property to you.
You should talk to an elder law attorney before screwing things up further.
She can't get subsidy's for "her" house because it is "your" house.
The document you are looking for is called a "life estate." Whether it will help on the subsidy issues I do not know.

If you chose to do this, a lawyer (preferably in the NC county she is in) can prepare the documents and you can sign and notarized them in Virginia and mail them back to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">