• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Listing Agreement Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelVirk2001

CA

I have been sued by a previous real estate client. According to the California Association of Realtors listing agreement, he must demand mediation and then binding arbitration (if mediation doesn’t work). However, he sued me in Civil Court. We have a counter claim for breach of contract, but the listing agreement clearly says that one must demand mediation and arbitration, and if they file a lawsuit in civil court they waive their right to attorney’s fees.

Our answer is due next week. My attorney has already demanded mediation. My attorney wants to file a counterclaim in civil court, however my concern is that would waive our right to attorney’s fees (since he isn’t going through binding arbitration). I also think this will cost a lot of money (to write the counter claim compared to a general denial) so I am not sure if his intentions are correct.

Do you know how this process works? If the contract calls for mediation then arbitration, then would it be a bad strategy to file the counterclaim with my answer? Could we lose attorney’s fees? Is Res Judicata applicable? Help!

quincy

CA

I have been sued by a previous real estate client. According to the California Association of Realtors listing agreement, he must demand mediation and then binding arbitration (if mediation doesn’t work). However, he sued me in Civil Court. We have a counter claim for breach of contract, but the listing agreement clearly says that one must demand mediation and arbitration, and if they file a lawsuit in civil court they waive their right to attorney’s fees.

Our answer is due next week. My attorney has already demanded mediation. My attorney wants to file a counterclaim in civil court, however my concern is that would waive our right to attorney’s fees (since he isn’t going through binding arbitration). I also think this will cost a lot of money (to write the counter claim compared to a general denial) so I am not sure if his intentions are correct.

Do you know how this process works? If the contract calls for mediation then arbitration, then would it be a bad strategy to file the counterclaim with my answer? Could we lose attorney’s fees? Is Res Judicata applicable? Help!
Why aren't you addressing these questions to your attorney?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">