• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Listing a residence as church/religious facility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grg1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I find it suspicious that an a-hole neighbor of mine has his townhome/residence listed as a religious facility.
Hypotheticly- if he is doing this dishonestly- to save taxes or whatever else
Is it illegal?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
I find it suspicious that an a-hole neighbor of mine has his townhome/residence listed as a religious facility.
Hypotheticly- if he is doing this dishonestly- to save taxes or whatever else
Is it illegal?
It depends. And this is YOUR business, WHY?

grg1234

I figured I might get a response like that
If you don't want to help me/think I am abusing the fourm- I understand.
Yeah I want to get revenge on the guy
If this "church example" is any clue to how manipulative he is/may be

sandyclaus

I figured I might get a response like that
If you don't want to help me/think I am abusing the fourm- I understand.
Yeah I want to get revenge on the guy
If this "church example" is any clue to how manipulative he is/may be
I figured it had to be revenge for some perceived injustice you have experienced.

How do you know he ISN'T running a religious organization out of his home, or that said religious organization doesn't own his property and allows him to live there?

Also, why do you feel the need to screw the guy over? What did they do to you that's worth all this effort on your part, and what are you going to do if this doesn't work to your advantage?

FlyingRon

We still don't know what you're trying to accomplish.
If he's using it as a religious facility, then he's allowed to do so.
If it's inconsistent with zoning you can certainly make that complaint.
If he's subverting it for property tax relief you can possibly make that complaint.
It's unlikely he's taking a federal tax deduction. There's no practical advantage to that. He could most likely deduct more with the standard homeowner's deductions.

FarmerJ

Out side of any possible tax benefit and possible negative consequence to a taxpayer who cheats. What are the details of your cities zoning ords for this property , like are there any exceptions on the books for business - non residential related traffic that may dictate a number of visitors per day?

grg1234

I realize it could be legit - and to answer questions about what I'm trying to accomplish - just looking to anonymously report something wrong.
I don't care how it turns out - or if it rules in my favor - I'm not going to look for something else or continually harrass the guy. I want to move either way.

I didn't intentionally look into his property taxes - but did notice he paid considerably lower last year than I.
All I've done so far is access public record of the property off the internet and post here. The only other thing I may do is anonymously report something.

He never has visitors - definetly doesn't have any "congergation" meeting there.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I realize it could be legit - and to answer questions about what I'm trying to accomplish - just looking to anonymously report something wrong.
I don't care how it turns out - or if it rules in my favor - I'm not going to look for something else or continually harrass the guy. I want to move either way.

I didn't intentionally look into his property taxes - but did notice he paid considerably lower last year than I.
All I've done so far is access public record of the property off the internet and post here. The only other thing I may do is anonymously report something.

He never has visitors - definetly doesn't have any "congergation" meeting there.
Seems like you want to be nasty just to BE nasty. Good luck with that. May it bring you joy.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">