• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking to sell house with propert tax lien on it, need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1eyed_jack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello, first off, I'm very glad I found this site and appreciate the time people spend helping others. I personally have almost no experience with legal practices and feel in way over my head, so I appreciate being able to come to a place like this where people help others out.

So here is the situation:

I recently found out that my mom has not payed property taxes in quite some time and found a letter last week from the Illinois State Treasury saying that an investment group has purchased her taxes and she has until July 1st to "redeem" the taxes to keep the house.

My mom is on disability and can't work so that's how she fell so far behind. She owed around $21,000 and can't afford to pay it so we would like to sell the house. Also, there is no mortgage on the house.

So first off, does anyone know any options that we have?

Can we sell the house with a lien on it and pay off the taxes at closing?

Also since my mom is on disability, does that change anything?

I appreciate any help and advice you guys have. If you need more info please let me know and thanks again.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello, first off, I'm very glad I found this site and appreciate the time people spend helping others. I personally have almost no experience with legal practices and feel in way over my head, so I appreciate being able to come to a place like this where people help others out.

So here is the situation:

I recently found out that my mom has not payed property taxes in quite some time and found a letter last week from the Illinois State Treasury saying that an investment group has purchased her taxes and she has until July 1st to "redeem" the taxes to keep the house.

My mom is on disability and can't work so that's how she fell so far behind. She owed around $21,000 and can't afford to pay it so we would like to sell the house. Also, there is no mortgage on the house.

So first off, does anyone know any options that we have?

Can we sell the house with a lien on it and pay off the taxes at closing?

Also since my mom is on disability, does that change anything?

I appreciate any help and advice you guys have. If you need more info please let me know and thanks again.

**A: yes she can sell the property but it must be closed prior to the redemption date. She can also find an investor to pay off the taxes for an equity ownership in the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">