• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Louisiana partition among co-owners

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MahlerDa

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
4 of us inherited my grandfather's estate, over the past 5+ years it has been surveyed into 6 parcels, 4 of which have been sold including his house. Now one owner wants to buy the remaining 2 parcels for only 25% of their appraised value. I have tried to negotitiate with her to buy me out of my 1/6 undivided interest, but she is not negotiating in good faith. If I have to file a partition suit, and the land cannot be divided 'in kind', is there still a chance we could have a private sale before the auction date? How will the judge determine the opening bid? If we have both gotten appraisals, will he perhaps take the average of the two?

FlyingRon

Selling by auction is not likely to bring the best value for the property. Are the properties on the market now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">