• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major Flood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DebbieDawn

My son bought a home in PA 18 months ago. He bought it after a long, hot, dry summer. In the disclosure agreement there is a sentence stating the one room of the cellar gets a little trickle of water about the size of a plate. 2 months after purchase there was an heavy rainfall and his cellar flooded about a foot deep. He called the real estate agent and she said it was impossible. Since then every time it rains heavy his cellar floods, 8 times in a year. What should he do? Is it too late to do anything? The previous owners had to know this problem.

HomeGuru

DebbieDawn said:
My son bought a home in PA 18 months ago. He bought it after a long, hot, dry summer. In the disclosure agreement there is a sentence stating the one room of the cellar gets a little trickle of water about the size of a plate.
**A: prior to closing, did he hire an engineer to inspect and diagnose the problem, given this information from the Seller?

2 months after purchase there was an heavy rainfall and his cellar flooded about a foot deep. He called the real estate agent and she said it was impossible.
**A: so what did he do after that with the real estate agent and the Seller?
Since then every time it rains heavy his cellar floods, 8 times in a year. What should he do? Is it too late to do anything? The previous owners had to know this problem.
**A: what does he want to do? Thus far he has done nothing but accept an "impossible" response.
Did he bother to contact an attorney that specializes in real estate disclosure cases? Or is he quietly building an ark.

D

DebbieDawn

Flood

The bit about the "trickle the size of a plate" was in the disclosure statement. Also by the word "sandmound" there was a checkmarked. But upon viewing the yard we can't see where any new excavating was done, all grass is old, no signs of recent digging. The prevous owners lied about the windows, stating they installed them and the owner that built the house and lived there 30 years said "no they didn't, he installed them before he sold the house to the second owners". Basement had a fresh coat of paint, some kind of shiny paint. My son didn't want to do anything thing at first because he thought it would make his neighbors angry at him for suing a past neighbor, but this is crazy to have a flood with every rain. He wanted to investigate this summer and see if he could do something with french drains. Anyway , I called a lawyer today and he said it is a 4 year statute of limitations because it is a breach of contract. But, the people moved 400 miles away so the lawyer said get estimates, and if it is a few thousand to fix it, it wouldn't be worth tracking these people down and suing them. If it's a huge amount then it might be. My son has an excavator coming tomorrow. I am hoping there is an easy answer. Oh yes, it was inspected, and inspector says "no evidence of water leakage". Well it had been a long, hot, dry summer. No ark yet, just a sump pump.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">